Flight training


The rapid growth of recreational flying is mainly about freedom; a freedom that has attracted many who rejected the concept that flying training should be founded on the assumption that every student pilot is potentially a commercial pilot and trained accordingly.  AIRWINGS Flight Centre treats you as a person who wants to fly for pleasure, whilst maintaining a high standard of piloting ability and knowledge.  This is a base you may progress from if you wish, but we do not make that assumption for you.

Recreational aviation does not provide you with a flying licence – you gain a pilot certificate, practically there is little difference. In ethical terms they are worlds apart.


RA-Aus is not run by the government, it is an association of recreational aircraft owners and pilots managed by the membership and a board of management (elected by the membership) to represent our interests, under the overview of CASA. The central body (based in Canberra) is supported by a small group of management (paid) to administer the central office and ensure continuing standards in flying operations and airworthiness. It exists to look after the interests of more than 9,200 members across Australia.


What Are Your Goals?

It is important to consider why you want to learn to fly or convert to recreational flying. This is important for practical reasons, but overall the initial objectives often change once you have gained some practical experience. Having a reasonable idea of what you want to do and why you want to do it will have an important bearing on the flight training facility you choose. Importantly, we strongly recommend that you do not buy an aircraft before you have some practical experience to establish you personal goals.


Basic Requirements:

To undertake training and fly an RA-Aus registered aircraft you must be a financial of RA-Aus and hold at least a Student Pilot Certificate.

You must be at least 14 years to hold a Student Pilot Certificate and at least 15 years to fly solo – there is no upper limit (see medical requirements).

To gain a pilot certificate you must complete a minimum of 20 hours training of which a t least 5 hours must be solo (as pilot in command).  If you have previously flying experience this may entitle you to training concessions through the prior recognised learning.

On attainment of your Pilot Certificate you may authorize your own flights and may operate up to 25 nautical miles from the airport of initial departure, but you may not enter controlled airspace.


Medical & Health:

If you are medically fit and physically capable, and you are above the age of 15, you can earn a pilot’s certificate.  You can actually learn to fly before then (14) but you cannot go solo or gain your pilots certificate until your 15th birthday.  If you are under 18 years old, you will require written parental consent.

The basic medical requirement is being able to state that you meet the health standard requirements to hold a car driver’s licence. This significant concession allows people to fly who would otherwise not be able to fly in the general aviation environment.  The exception to this is that RA-Aus flying instructors must hold a valid general aviation pilot’s medical certificate.

General health considerations are common sense.  Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs, some medications may cause issues – consult with your doctor.


Pilot Certificate Endorsments:

On attaining your pilot certificate there are endorsements available to broaden your horizons.  The two (2) most popular endorsements are passenger carrying and cross country.

To carry a passenger, you must have 10 hours as pilot in command, of which a minimum of 2 hours must be in an RA-Aus approved 2 seat aircraft and pass a check flight with an RA-Aus Chief Flying Instructor (CFI).  This will allow you to carry a passenger.

The cross country endorsement allows you to fly anywhere in Australia (below 10,000 feet) outside of controlled airspace.  The minimum requirement of 10 hours including 2 hours solo cross country and pass an examination in Navigation and Meteorology.

Recreational aviation does not allow: night flying; aerobatics; or instrument flying:


ABN: 81 620 483 678